The Completion of Birmingham Town Hall, bronze medal, 1834, published by E. Thomason, a view of the Town Hall, HANSON & WELCH ARCHTS/ BIRMINGHAM TOWN HALL/ 1834, rev. legend in twenty two lines, THE COMMITTEE APPOINTED TO SUPERINTEND THE ERECTING OF THE BUILDING. . . . . . . . . . . THE GRAND MUSICAL FESTIVALS FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE GENERAL HOSPITAL WILL BE HELD IN THE MARBLE HALL. THE SIZE OF THE MUSIC ROOM IS IN LENGTH 140 FEET, IN WIDTH 65 FEET, THEORGAN IS THE MOST PWERFUL ONE IN EUROPE AND IS 40 FEET WIDE AND 45 FEET HIGH, 73 mm, (BHM. 1678), contained in original red leather case. Good extremely fine and rare in this condition, a striking architectural medal. £285.00
Taylor states that the architects, then unknown won a competition in 1830 for the project with a fine classical revival design based on the Temple of Castor and Polux in the Roman Forum. Although the building was sufficiently complete to be opened in 1834, such were the contracting costs that the architects Hansom and Welch were brought to bankruptcy and the job was passed on to Charles Edge.