Completion of Birmingham Town Hall, bronze medal, 1834, by Williams, a view of the Town Hall, HANSON & WELCH ARCHTS/ BIRMINGHAM TOWN HALL, / LENGTH 166 FEET WIDTH 104 FEET HEIGHT 83 FEET COST &POUND;28000, rev. legend in fourteen lines, MARKET HALL LENGTH 365 FEET WIDTH 108 FT. HEIGHT 44 FT. 6INS. COST 25000 CHAS. EDGE . ARCHITECT . J. W. & R. WALTHEW . BUILDERS . THESE PUBLIC EDIFICES UNEQUALLED FOR ARCHITECTURAL BEAUTY, UTILITY, & EXCELLENCE OF WORKMANSHIP, WERE ERECTED IN 1834 FRS. LLOYD ESQR. HIGH BAILIFF . SAML. BEALE ESQR. LOW BAILIFF. 38 mm, (BHM. 1679). Unrecorded in bronze, extremely fine and rare. £140.00
Birmingham's fine Town Hall, built to house the Triennial Music Festival, was designed by Joseph Hansom, inventor of the Hansom cab, and was completed in 1834. The inspiration for the building came from the Temple of Castor and Pollux in Rome, depicted in Palladio's treatises on architecture. The imposing structure was brick-built and faced with Anglesey marble.