Ireland, Dublin Industrial Exhibition, white metal medal, 1853, a view of the exterior of the exhibition buildings with legend above and below, rev. DIAMOND WORKER TO THE MARCHIONESS OF LONDONDERRY/ SEAL ENGRAVERS. ELECTROPLATERS/ GARDNER & CO/ MANUFACTURING/ GOLD & SILVERSMITHS/ WATCHMAKERS & JEWELLERS/ IN LONDON & SHEFFIELD WHOLESALE/ & AT THE WAREHOUSE & WORKSHOPS/ OPPOSITE THE PROVOSTS HOUSE/ AND NEAR TRINITY COLLEGE/ 111/ GRAFTON STREET/ DUBLIN/ WATCH GLASSES CAREFULLY FITTED/ CHRONOMETER WATCHMAKERS TO THE LORD LIEUTENANT/ HAIR PLAITED IN DEVICES, WEDDING RINGS, 43mm, pierced for suspension. Good very fine. £75.00
In 1853, William Dargan (1799-1867), the engineer and railway contractor, organized and sponsored the Dublin Industrial Exhibition to draw attention to the railways and their benefits to industry. A magnificent "crystal palace" was constructed to accommodate the exhibition and it was opened by Queen Victoria. Dargan provided the organizers with nearly £100,000, a fifth of which he lost.