Christ's Hospital School, , Sheffield plate badge, circa 1673, by J. Roettier, a Bluecoat boy encouraged by Arithmetic holding a tablet of figures, Astronomy wearing the petasus of Mercury and holding a sphere and Mathematics, a triangle and compasses; on the ground a mariner's compass and the lead. Above, two cherubs with caduceus and trumpet and two zephyrs propelling favourably the ships of England, AUSPICIO CAROL SECUNDI REGIS 1673 (UNDER THE AUSPICE OF CHARLES II KING), rev. an incuse version of the obverse, 81 mm, (MI 557/218), pierced for suspension. An eighteenth century example, rubbed on the high points, otherwise good very fine. £325.00
These badges were struck for sewing to the coats of the 40 mathematical scholars of the nautical school - known as the Royal Mathematical Foundation - established within Christ's Hospital School (the Bluecoat school) in 1672 by Charles II.
In the mid-18th century, when it was found that boys were selling them for their silver value, they were replaced with the same design in silver plate.